- 1807 Presbyterians first met in Shelbyville homes with Reverend Archibald Cameron as minister.
- 25 Communicants in 1807
- 1809, Robert P. Allen, Singleton Wilson & Moses Hall buy lot 83 from town’s Trustees for 6 pounds, 15 shillings.
- By the fall of 1820, a church was erected.
- Building destroyed in 1823 by a violent storm.
- Replaced by a brick church with a burying ground for members and others
- Old church property sold to Associate Reformed Church for $600 where Public Library stands today.
- By 1839, there were 236 members.
- 1847 Congregation outgrew building.
- Purchased lot 32 on northeast corner of Main & 7th Streets
- In 1866, Rev. William C. Matthews & around 50 members withdrew and formed the First Assembly Presbyterian Church U.S.A.
- They met in the College Chapel until a new church was built at 9th and Main Streets.
- Dedicated in Dec. 1871 & congregation stayed in existing sanctuary and affiliated with the Louisville Presbytery U.S. (Southern).
- Reverend J. S. Grasty was called to be the minister.
- 1875, Rev. S. M. Neel was called as minister until 1888.
- Last service in Grecian-style Church was March 5, 1888.
- Church was torn down and congregation met in Layson Hall while a new church was being built.
- December 1888, the Church Sunday School rooms were ready for occupancy.
- Building was completed & dedicated on June 30, 1889. The cost of the furnished church was $20,000. 160 members.
- Frierson serves as pastor 1889 to 1898.
- Sunday morning, Dec. 27, 1891, the Church caught fire–the cupola’s flames illuminating the country around for miles. Everything in the building was lost, including the Reverend D.E. Frierson’s extensive library.
- While the burned church was being rebuilt, the congregation met in the unused Episcopal Church.
- June 3, 1893, the new church was dedicated and membership now numbered 178.
- Reverend William E. Byce asked to be released from his ministry to accept a call to a Presbyterian Church in Iowa.
- The Church found itself without a minister until late 1907 when it called the Reverend J. Rockwell Smith; 54 members.
- In January 1909 the Session considered reuniting with First Presbyterian Church U.S.
- It was approved and the Reverend Smith offered his resignation effective April 1909.
- First Presbyterian Church minister, Rev. David M. Sweets, terminated his ministry in March 1909.
- The joint congregation then called the Reverend W. R. Anderson who served from 1909 until 1920.
- Carl S. Matthews served as minister between 1921 & 1928.
- Angus N. Gordon served as minister from 1929 to 1941.
- The First Assembly Presbyterian Church and lot were sold and one half the proceeds were given to the United Church.
- The other half of the proceeds were given to the Presbytery of Louisville of the Synod of Kentucky U.S.A.
- In 1950, Mulberry Presbyterian Church was closed and demolished.
- An addition was built with the Good Shepherd window moved from the Mulberry Church, now serving as the focal point.
- The tower bell, the only hand-pulled bell in a Shelbyville Church, still tolls.
- Glover A. Daniel serves as minister 1942 until his death on 7/23/63.
- William V. Gardner, Pastor, 1964 – 1966
- Gayle W. Threlkeld, pastor, 1966 to 1983.
- Roy Sharpe, pastor, 1983 to 1994
- Called Associate Pastor, Kenneth B. Armstrong 1986 – 1989.
- We purchased the old Post Office across 7th Street, renamed the Mulberry Building.
- We sold the Mulberry Building to New Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
- Pennington served as our Interim Pastor between Roy Sharpe & Dr. Lynn Williamson.
- A milestone was reached in 1996 when Dr. Lynn Williamson was called to be the first woman minister, 1996 to 2004.
- We purchased the old Manse and alley with plans to expand.
- Worked with City of Shelbyville to create our improved parking lot and garden area
- Carl Horton, Interim Pastor, 2005 to 2007.
- Jay Hodge called as pastor November 2007.